- 1.Awesome WooCommerce Extensions to Extend Functionality: Part I
- 2.Awesome WooCommerce Extensions to Extend Functionality: Part II
- 3.Awesome WooCommerce Plugins to Extend Functionality : Part III
If you have a WordPress site and run an online store on it, you must be familiar with WooCommerce. WooCommerce is the most popular eCommerce platform on the web today. It powers 30% of all online stores. Store owners love it as it gives them complete control to sell anything. Developers love it because it is free, open source, extensible and adaptable.
WooCommerce is used by websites all over the world. It is built for WordPress and is totally compatible with it. Physical or digital, shoes or software – goods of all types will find WooCommerce to be a great substitute for a shop window.
All the processes that you carry out for any brick and mortar store can be replicated on a WooCommerce platform – source inventory, stock up on goods, display them for viewing, display prices, discounts, receive orders, raise invoices, receive payments, ship products to customers, replenish stock, make up your account books – everything can be done with WooCommerce. You can even locate your customer’s address and calculate the tax applicable to his country.
While WooCommerce can do pretty much everything for an online store, it is possible that there may be a particular task that it cannot do. To add these tasks on a routine basis to WooCommerce would simply make it unwieldy. But if you still want these tasks added to your WooCommerce, you can look at extensions.
There are hundreds of WooCommerce extensions, both free and paid, from WooThemes as well as from other developers. They carry out a niche function and you can add them on to WooCommerce at will. Your WooCommerce functionality is immediately extended.
You must pick and choose the extensions wisely, as simply adding on plugins may lead to incompatibility and may slow down your website. You must consider what functions can really bring value to your store and your customers -for instance, if you are a gift shop, gift wrapping may be a useful add-on. Some plugins offer a bouquet of functions which may be more suited to you.
The way to go about this is to consider what functions need to be added to your site and search for the plugin that fits the bill. We have listed a few functions below and some top of the class plugins for each to make your search easier. These categories are not watertight and there maybe overlap in functions. The functions that you can consider adding to are,
- Product Pricing
- Product Selection and Display
- Printing and Invoicing
- Social media
- Shipping and Delivery
- General Utility
To ensure broad coverage of the extensions and to make it easier to read, this article is being published in 3 parts. Each part will cover some extension categories.
Part I here covers Product Pricing, Product Display and Printing and Invoicing.
WooCommerce Dynamic Pricing and Discounts
If you want to change the prices of your products for different customers or based on some marketing strategy or method, WooCommerce Dynamic Pricing and Discounts can help you. Product pricing rules and cart discounts can be managed easily with this plugin.
Come Christmas or Easter or Black Friday and you will witness that this plugin can handle the special sales promotions efficiently. Loyalty programs, rewards, club memberships, early bird offers, privileged customer programs or special discounts for individuals, the plugin can handle all this and more. The start and end date for the promotions can be fixed.
The powerful rule editor can apply discounts or special prices to different product categories, areas or volumes. The discounts can be a number or a percentage, and can be fixed or varying, before or after tax. Clubbed discount programs or special prices for bundled products can be set as well.
A regular license for this plugin will cost you $26 and will entitle you to 6 months support and updates. You can extend support to 12 months for an additional $7.80
WooCommerce Extra Products Option
WooCommerce Extra Product Options helps to create additional price fields on your product page. The fields can be created locally on the Edit page or globally. You can choose a name for the option, describe it, order the options any way you want and then put a price to the option. The fields can be placed at any selected spot.
It facilitates choosing products and product options and the price of each variation can be displayed. Global options can be tagged to hundreds of products easily. Conditional logic is enabled. Display can be normal or mounted on a slider or can be made to pop out on the screen.
While it is compatible with a host of plugins like Aelia Currency Switcher and WooThemes Composite Product, 6 plugins have been listed as known to be incompatible.
You can purchase this plugin at CodeCanyon for $19 and be entitled to future updates and 6 months support. To extend support to 12 months, you will have to pay $5.70 extra.
WooCommerce Bulk Discount
WooCommerce Bulk Discount is a free plugin that you can download from the WordPress plugin directory. Using this plugin you can offer discounts for certain products or products that are purchased in certain quantities. It is simple and extensive, offering you a number of discount options that can be applied to the cart.
You can apply discounts to the cart based on the total value of the cart or individually on a per product basis or on the number of items purchased. You get to frame any kind of discount policy for your store and implement it smoothly with this extension.
The bulk discount can be displayed in many locations – when the mouse hovers over a product, in emails, invoices, order details as well as on checkout page. You can turn off bulk discount if coupons are being used. The extension can be used in English and 6 other languages.
Some other extensions which can help in fulfilling a specific pricing option are listed below,
- Loyalty Rewards for WooCommerce can promote sales by awarding loyalty points and allowing conversion into money value at the checkout point.
- Product Bundles is a plugin that allows related products to be bundled together and sold. It makes up complex bundles that can be grouped together and sold. It also updates the inventory for each item in the bundle.
- Smart Coupons is a one stop plugin that can generate gift certificates, coupons, store credits, gift vouchers, promo codes and other incentives. It messages customers and manages these incentives, maintains credit balances and deletes zero coupons. With a bit of coding the coupons can be made to look attractive.
- WooCommerce Wholesale Price helps you to give a preferential price to a wholesale customer. There are many plugins out there, both free and paid, that do the same function. An extra field is added in the product page where you can indicate the status of the customer as wholesale. The price applicable in this case will override the default price.
- Minimum Purchase for WooCommerce is a simple plugin that allows you to set the minimum number that must be purchased from your store. Only if the purchase satisfies the minimum number condition, it will be allowed to proceed to the checkout page.
Product Selection and Display
YITH WooCommerce Zoom Magnifier
YITH WooCommerce Zoom Magnifier will provide a zoom view of the product allowing your customer a closer inspection. The size of the zoomed image can be customized. A slider can be added to carry the products for display.
A premium version is also available at $59 for use on a single site and for $99 for use on 6 sites. Use on 30 sites would cost you $149. With the purchase of the license, you would get one year of free support and updates. The premium version will let you place the zoom box where you want it and exclude products that you do not want to zoom.
Fancy Product Designer – WooCommerce plugin
If you want to create and design any kind of product from business cards to stickers, bottles to shoes, badges to mugs and anything in between, Fancy Product Designer is the right plugin.
Customers can choose colors, different images for different views, and view prices for each element of design addition. The plugin works with almost all themes and can be tagged to all the products or restricted to specific products.
The design created can be uploaded from Facebook, Instagram and some other social media, as well as shared on these social media platforms with the help of a custom link generator. If product customization is an option on your website, this plugin will add great value to it.
WooCommerce Product Filter
WooCommerce Product Filter helps to filter products using any criteria such as price, range, availability and size. It integrates well with your shop and archive pages. Filter settings can be applied using shortcodes or widgets. Layouts can be varied, individual filters can be customized and filters can be preset.
It can also generate important marketing leads by tracking the filters used by the customers, so you get to know what they are looking for.
This plugin can be purchased for $26 and comes with support for 6 months and future updates. For an additional $7.80, you can extend the support to 12 months.
If you need more options for displaying your products, check out the extensions here,
- WooThumbs-Awesome Product Imagery will display your products to advantage using zoom, sliders, video, fade effects and full screen image gallery. Varying layouts are possible and using these options you can add any number of images to the variations of the products.
- WooCommerce Products Slider will help you to display the products in carousel sliders that can be added anywhere. The sliders can be added using shortcode and admin settings. The images will be responsive, adjusting to mobiles with ease.
- WooCommerce 360o Image will help you add a group of images to the gallery which will combine to display a dynamic and fully controllable image that rotates 360 degrees.
- Woo Slider – Ultimate WooCommerce Product Carousel Slider is another plugin that will help create a carousel list of products. The plugin can display video, gallery or a single image. You can save the sliders that you create, just like you save posts and add them wherever you like by using shortcode.
- YITH WooCommerce AJAX Product Filter will help you apply filters that you need to display the correct variations that are required. Filters by color, size, price will help customers find just the variation that they are looking for.
- WooCommerce Dynamic Gallery will replace your product image gallery with a dynamic gallery with thumbnails in a single row. The dynamic gallery will display well on mobile devices also, and it comes with built in lazy load features.
Printing and Invoicing
WooCommerce PDF Invoices
The days of putting down a number on a piece of paper and passing it off for an invoice are over. A modern day invoice has to comply with a number of regulatory and tax requirements. WooCommerce PDF invoices takes care of all invoicing requirements. Any defect in the invoice can have serious monetary and legal consequences.
Immediately on completion of a sale, a PDF invoice is generated. It can be generated manually and stored before order is completed or charged. It can also be sent out as an attachment to WooCommerce mails. If you need it, you can also generate a proforma invoice. A single invoice can be downloaded or the entire set of invoices or invoices in a range can be downloaded in a zip file.
The invoice layout is professional and customizable. The invoice numbers are generated by a proprietary document numbering system so that there is no duplicate numbering or gap in invoices. Logo can be incorporated and adjusted for size. Supplier company details can be included. Tax applicable is computed and displayed. Content can be added in header or footer to include information about warranty, payment or anything else.
This plugin comes from RightPress for $26 for a regular license with 6 months support and future updates. If you pay a $7.80 extra, you get an additional 6 month support.
WooCommerce EU VAT Compliance
WooCommerce EU VAT Compliance will help in collection of EU VAT that is being imposed in the country of purchase with effect from the beginning of 2015. This VAT is applicable even if the seller is not located in the EU, so sellers all over the world will find this plugin handy in making sales to EU countries. This free plugin can identify the location of the seller and apply the correct VAT rate. Prices can be displayed inclusive of VAT.
The premium version allows exemption for VAT registered buyers or restricts sales only for B2B customers and can show VAT in different currencies.
WooCommerce PDF Invoice and Packing Slip
When you send out an order confirmation to your customer, the WooCommerce PDF Invoice and Packing Slip automatically adds a PDF invoice to go with it. The plugin provides a template for the invoice which can be modified. Invoices can be generated in bulk and can be sequentially numbered.
While the plugin is free, there are some premium extensions available for features like Proforma Invoice, Credit notes and advanced template.
In case you haven’t decided on your WordPress theme with WooCommerce integration you might want to head here to find the best examples. In case free themes is what you are after the best place for research is here.
That concludes PART I.
I’ll be back with more WooCommerce Extensions in Part II and III.